Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Humanism and Homosexuality

I recently gave a talk on Humanism and Contemporary issues that covered an overview of Humanism along with various contemporary topics and how Humanists might view them. The talk went well except for the section on Homosexuality. In it, I presented a view that came from research for my book Humanism for Parents. In that view, there have been various types of homosexuality throughout history and they included:

  • Egalitarian where the partners are equal

  • Gender-based where the two partners take on male or female roles

  • Age-based where there is a wide discrepancy in ages


The audience was upset (mildly at the talk, but vehemently later) about my including age-based homosexuality with either of the first two. Most of my point was that this has been an accepted practice in some past societies (e.g. Rome). They baulked at this saying that it was pedophilia (paedophilia) and not homosexuality.
I'm interested to hear opinions on this and (hopefully) references so that I can look into it. The research I did was pretty clear, but I can't read everything and so I'm interested in reputable references to read in this area. Opinions are also welcome of course.