Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Distinction within Religious Criticism

Secular Humanism with a human face: A Distinction within Religious Criticism

Interesting post, much in-line with Sam Harris, though I think we shouldn't eradicate the text within these books as much as eradicate the belief that they are the literal words of God. There is certainly a lot of hypocrosy going on within the Abrahamic religious communities when they indicate they believe their respective books are the literal word of God, but they don't follow them. Of course it is fortunate for all of us most don't follow the words as the world would be in a perpetual war with each religious faction being told by their God to kill all who don't believe the same way.


There is a great joke (by Simon Jenkins) that exemplifies this:

"I was walking along when I saw a man standing on a bridge getting ready to jump. I tried to find a reason to dissuade him, and asked :

Are you religious? Yes, he replied. Great, so am I

Christian or Buddhist? Christian, he said. Great, so am I

Episcopalian or Baptist? Baptist, he responded. Great, so am I

Baptist Church of God, or Baptist Church of The Lord? Baptist Church of God. Great, so am I.

Are you Original Baptist Church of God or Reformed Baptist Church of God? Reformed Baptist Church of God. Great, so am I.

Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God Reformation 1879 or Reformed Baptist Church of God Reformation 1915? Reformed Baptist Church of God Reformation 1915, was the answer.

Die heretic scum, I said, and pushed him off.